The Laguna State Polytechnic College was first established as a provincial high school known as Baybay Provincial High School in 1952. It was the first public high school established in the Baybay District. In 1957 by virtue of RA 1807, it was converted into an agricultural school known as the Baybay National Agricultural and Vocational School. Realizing the need for a college in the eastern portion of Laguna, the school was then renamed into Baybay National College of Agriculture and Technology in 1971 by virtue of RA 6327. Since its establishment, expansion after expansion has been done, the number of enrolment, infrastructures and projects/programs has been increased and sustained. Hence, in 1983 by virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 482, it was converted into a state college, known as the Laguna State Polytechnic College.
The State College is located 124 kilometers away from Manila and rests on a 33-hectare site in its host campus at Siniloan, Laguna; along the lake. Aside from this, there is the state college extension site located in Barangay Kapatalan, Siniloan, Laguna consisting of 100 hectares, about 20 kilometers from the host campus. Hence, a total land area of 134 hectares.
From then on the Laguna State Polytechnic College grew bigger and better, with the incumbency of Dr. Ricardo A. Wagan, as the first LSPC (now LSPU) President. It has opened four (4) satellite campuses and integrated three (3) CHED-Supervised Institutions in accordance with the pertinent provisions of RA 8292: 1) Laguna College of Arts and Trades now LSPU - Santa Cruz campus located at Barangay Bubukal, Santa Cruz, Laguna; 2) Los Banos College of Fisheries now LSPU - Los Banos Campus located at Barangay Mayondon - Malinta, Los Banos, Laguna; and 3) San Pablo City National School of Arts and Trades now LSPU - San Pablo City Campus. The satellite campuses were established through Memoranda of Agreement with the local government of Laguna, to wit: 1) LSPC Nagcarlan Satellite Campus, Nagcarlan, Laguna; 2) Santa Maria Satellite Campus, Santa Maria, Laguna; 3) Cabuyao Satellite Campus, Cabuyao, Laguna; 4) Santa Cruz Satellite Campus, RECS Village/San Luis Sports Complex, Santa Cruz, Laguna.
In 2007, LSPC made a pivotal turn and was converted into LSPU by Republic Act 9402, making it the forerunner of higher educational excellence in the province of Laguna. With a wide array of curricular offerings, it caters to a diverse clientele in the province and in the nearby areas. The main thrusts of these University Campuses are as follows: Agricultural Technology-Siniloan Campus, Engineering and Mechatronics Technology-Santa Cruz Campus, Fishery Technology-Los Banos Campus and Electronics Technology-San Pablo City Campus.Today, the internationally known Laguna State Polytechnic University with Hon. Dr. Ricardo A. Wagan at the helm has gained increased community confidence and is ably supported by the LSPU faculty members, staff, students and the Lagunenses as well.